The summer reading challenge is here!
What is the summer reading challenge?
The summer reading challenge is a season of literacy for Ouachita Parish. The Library encourages everyone to read as much as they can this summer, and participate in fun programs and challenges surrounding a theme. If you complete the challenge, you will be eligible to win amazing prizes.
Who can participate in the summer reading challenge?
Anyone with a Library card! The summer reading challenge is divided into three age groups: adults, teens, and children. Even children who can't read yet can participate by counting books that are read to them, and by participating in the challenges.
What is the theme for the summer reading challenge?
The 2020 summer reading challenge theme is "Imagine Your Story." We will be imagining all sorts of fairy tales, folk tales, fantasy stories and mythology stories.
What are the challenges and how do I earn prizes?
Take the summer reading challenge and earn prizes! You can earn prizes for every reading milestone and for completing challenges, for a total of six prizes (while supplies last). If you complete all milestones and challenges, you’ll be entered into a drawing for grand prizes. Grand prizes include bicycles (provided by the Kiwanis of Greater Ouachita), tablets (provided by the Friends of the Ouachita Public Library), gift cards to local businesses and more!
Earn up to three prizes for completing reading milestones:
- Children (ages 0-12): 250, 500 and 750 pages
- Teens and Adults (ages 13 and up): 500, 1000 and 1500 pages
Summer Activity Challenges:
Earn up to three prizes for completing reading challenges. To complete a challenge, achieve all three tasks within a challenge or one task three times:
- Imagine Your Story at Home
- Read one of the Library's Top 6 Picks (see below for titles).
- Watch a fairy tale, fantasy, folk tale or mythology-inspired movie.
- Reduce, resuse or recycyle.
- Imagine Your Story with Your Library
- Attend a virtual program on the Library's Facebook or YouTube page. Click here for a complete listing of virtual programs.
- Use a digital Library service like cloudLibrary, Hoopla or Kanopy. Click here for a complete list of our e-services.
- Ask a librarian for a book recommendation. Ask in person, give us a call, send us a direct message on Facebook or Instagram, or email us at email@example.com.
- Imagine Your Story in Your Community
- Play outside, or visit a park or local attraction.
- Support a local small business or local nonprofit.
- Pick up trash in your neighborhood for at least 1 hour.
Top 6 Picks
While you can read any book during the summer reading challenge, our librarians have selected six titles in each age group that highlight "Imagine Your Story."
Teens - Top Six Picks
Children - Top Six Picks
Kids, log your reading pages and challenges here.
Thank you, sponsors!
The mission of the Ouachita Parish Public Library is to advance literacy, inspire lifelong learning, and strengthen our community by serving everyone in Ouachita Parish.