Summer Reading Challenge
The Library's network is currently down, but summer reading is still here! Some services may be delayed until network issues are resolved. Virtual programs are put on hold until the network is back up. For details on the network outage, click here.
Join the Summer Reading Challenge!
Click the buttons below to register for the summer reading challenge and to log pages:
What is the summer reading challenge?
Since 1948, the Ouachita Parish Public Library has challenged patrons to read as much as they can during the summer. What started as a reading club for children has expanded to a months-long, themed-celebration for all ages. Children, teens and adults receive fun incentives for reading and completing community challenges.
Who can join the summer reading challenge?
Anyone with a Ouachita Parish Public Library card! There are three age categories for the summer reading challenge, with different page goals, prizes and programs. Children ages 12 and under can join the Kids Category, teens ages 13-19 can join the Teen Category, and adults 18 and up can join the Adult Category. Patrons who are 18 or 19 years old can choose whether they would like to join the Teen or Adult Category. If you do not have a Ouachita Parish Public Library card, you can receive one at any branch. Click here for details on how to get a Library card.
When does the summer reading challenge begin and end?
The summer reading challenge is from June 1 - July 31, 2021.
How do I win prizes?
Win prizes by READING! Prizes are available while supplies last. Due to COVID, there may be a delay in the arrival of prizes. Log your pages in the summer reading portal. Click here for kids, click here for teens, and click here for adults.
- 250 pages: certificate, cup, door hanger and pencil
- 500 pages: brag tags (for kids over 3) and inflatable toys (for kids 3 and under)
- 750 pages: book, Tails and Tales drawstring bag, Raising Cane's kids meal gift certificate; PLUS an entry into the grand prize drawing (a bicycle provided by the Kiwanis of Greater Ouachita)
- 500 pages: drawstring bag, headphones and candy
- 1000 pages: tumbler cup and sunglasses
- 1500 pages: book, Raising Cane's kids meal gift certificate; PLUS an entry into the grand prize drawing (a tablet provided by the Friends of the Ouachita Public Library)
- 500 pages: writing notepad
- 1000 pages: collectible canvas tote bag
- 1500 pages: entry into the grand prize drawing (a tablet provided by the Friends of Ouachita Public Library)
The grand prize for teens and adults is a tablet provided by the Friends of the Ouachita Public Library. The Kiwanis of Greater Ouachita is donating 10 bicycles for children in Ouachita Parish who complete the summer reading challenge in their annual Bikes for Books program. There are multiple ways to enter into the grand prize drawing:
- Read! Kids who read 750 pages, and teens and adults who read 1500 pages will be entered into the grand prize drawing.
- Complete the community challenges! In the summer reading portal, log that you have completed the three community challenges, and you will have a bonus entry into the grand prize drawing. The community challenges are:
- Find a Heron. Find one Heron on the Bayou. These statues can be found in many places around Ouachita Parish. Click here to view a map of the heron locations.
- Pick Up Litter to Save Our Critters. All litter harms our local wildlife! Pick up litter in your neighborhood for one hour or attend a Ouachita Green litter pick-up event.
- Play Outside. Enjoy the fresh air! Play outside in your back yard, a local park or the Louisiana Purchase Gardens & Zoo.
- Vote for your favorite Top 6 Pick. For a bonus entry into the grand prize drawing, read at least 2 of the Top 6 Picks and vote for your favorite book. In the summer reading portal, click on "challenges," scroll to the bottom, and click on the link under "Vote for your favorite Top 6 Picks." After voting, you will receive the secret code to enter into the summer reading portal.